- The name Elizabeth was ranked 11 in popularity for girls in the US in 2006.
- Elizabeth is a name that never seems to go out of style. It was ranked 4 in 1880 and very gradually decreased in popularity until it his an alltime low of 26 in 1945. It worked its way back up the charts and has hovered near the top 10 list ever since.
Reasons for Popularity
- It can withstand the passage of time. Elizabeth works on a 2-year-old and a 92-year-old.
- There are endless nickname possibilities: Liz, Lizzie, Beth, Bess, Betsy, Ellie, etc.
- It has Biblical significance.
- The Hebrew meaning of Elizabeth is “consecrated to God.”
Is your name Elizabeth or did you choose this name for your child? Leave a comment sharing the name’s significance for you.