- The name Jessica was ranked 32 in popularity for girls in the US in 2006.
- Jessica was ranked 705 in 1880 and lost popularity, falling off the charts entirely in the 1920s. It returned in 1939 and gradually gained popularity until it broke into the top 100 at 98 in 1970. It leaped into the top 10 at 8 in 1976. It reigned 1 on the charts from 1985-1990 and 1993-1995. It seems to finally be making its way back out of the limelight.
Reasons for Popularity
- It’s a feminine sounding names with the more gender neutral/masculine nicknames of Jess and Jessie.
- It has a unique and refreshing sound compared to other popular names.
- Jessica is a feminine form of Jesse
- Jess, Jessa, Jessie
Is your name Jessica or did you choose this name for your child? Leave a comment sharing the name’s significance for you.