- The name Taylor ranked 22 in popularity for girls in the US in 2006.
- Taylor only recently made the jump from the boys’ charts to the girls’. It ranked 988 in 1979 and quickly increased in popularity until it broke into the top 100 in 1979 with a rank of 75. It broke into the top 10 at 7 in 1993 and held an alltime high of 6 from 1994-1996. It seems to be on its way out of popularity now and may fade away as a passing fad.
Reasons for Popularity
- It follows the trend of boys’ names gone to the girls.
- It follows the trend of last-names-turned-first-names.
- It has historical significance.
- The English meaning of Taylor is “tailor.”
Is your name Taylor or did you choose this name for your child? Leave a comment sharing the name’s significance for you.