- The name Brian was ranked 72 in popularity for boys in the US in 2006.
- Brian first appeared on the charts in 1925 at 870. It quickly became popular, breaking into the top 100 at 95 in 1947. It broke into the top 10 at 10 in 1967 and reached an alltime high of 8 in 1970 and 1972-1977. It has been decreasing in popularity ever since.
Reasons for Popularity
- It follows the trend of boys’ name with two syllables ending in “N.”
- It works well for parents avoiding nicknames.
- The Irish and Scottish meaning of Brian is “strong,” “virtuous,” or “honorable.”
Is your name Brian or did you choose this name for your child? Leave a comment sharing the name’s significance for you.